Monday, October 10, 2011

What is Critical Thinking?



The dictionary defines critical thinking as; disciplined thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence.
So what does that mean? Critical thinking is the logical way of think; you take all the information given to come up with a nonbiased conclusion. For the mid-term assignment for my INQ class, I have to make a video asking people what they think critical thinking is. But I have to put my own spin on it. I am an art major; I plan in double majoring in Graphic Design and Photography. So I my question is: What is critical thinking when involving art?
So we defined critical thinking as coming to a nonbiased conclusion with the given information. But this definition only describes a situation where all the given information is written and clear. But art is visual and unclear (or audio, music is art too :D). You have to search for the information to make a conclusion. In this case, to be a good critical thinker you have to view the artwork with a clear open-mine. When I go to museums or find artwork on the Internet, be for I determine what the piece is, I discover how it makes me feel (what emotion I get when I view it). With that information I can come to a conclusion of what the artist might have been feeling.  After I know how the piece makes me feel, look more closely to see what the artist has created. If the subject matches the feeling, than I can come to a conclusion of what the artist might of created in that piece. I say might because art is suppose to be a discovery.  Art is like a story with a cliffhanger ending, the artist gives you the story, but you have to come up with the ending.  So in a way there is no correct answer when critically thinking about art. You have to go a piece with a completely open-mine and ready to draw your own information for a conclusion that will be very different than the person standing next to you. This is why I love art, you can think whatever you want about the piece in front of you, and not anyone, not even the artist, can tell you to think otherwise. Art frees your mind and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment